Sunday 25 August 2013

Sunday Stamps 089: Into the wild we go

stampbuttonb[5]

The title of my post this week reminds of this movie of the same title that I watched a long time ago. It's a true story of a young American, freshly graduated from university and abandons his material possessions to live in the wilderness. It's a heart-wrenching story.

Anyways, I digress.

My entries for this week come from Malaysia.

First up is the Korean tiger, Panthera tigris altaica, and is the largest tiger subspecies that is found from Russia to Korea. This stamp is one of the two issued in 2010 by Pos Malaysia to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Malaysian-South Korean diplomatic relations.
I love the neat postmark! It's mailed from Butterworth in Penang, Malaysia!

The other tiger subspecies featured in this commemorative issue, the Panthera tigris jacksoni, is the smallest tiger subspecies confined to Peninsular Malaysia. The stamp set is beautiful and the issuing date coincided also with the Year of the Tiger. South Korean also issued the same design of tiger stamps on the same day. See the set below:
Source: Pos Malaysia

I have two more stamps, as you can see on the left. On top is a stamp showing a teludu, also known as the Malay badger, stink or skunk badger common in Borneo's wild. This stamp is from the nocturnal animals series issued by Pos Malaysia in 2008.

What's more interesting is that the stamps from this series are glow-in-the-dark! Unfortunately for me, I didn't know it right from the day I received it. I learned about this only now while researching for some info. I'll try it tonight and let you know if it indeed glows in the dark :)

The stamp at the bottom features a burung pikau, or the Asian blue quail, Coturnix chinensis, and is a part of the same family as the pheasants Phasianidae of the order Galliformes, gallinaceous birds. This stamp was part of the fauna series issued in 2001.

8 comments:

  1. I like the paw print cancel and the tiger stalking across the stamp. I like the sound of glow in the dark stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great selection; the tigers are of course always impressive but i also love learning about new (to me) animal species like on the latter two stamps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful stamps! Thank you for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Teledu looks cute, but I assume from its other names that it doesn't smell very good.

    I am glad you posted nice large images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb tigers! They are such elegant animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely, especially the tigers; I'm learning so much this week.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik