Friday 6 March 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday 005: Belgium map-card



It's Postcard Friendship Friday once again and I had almost forgotten to post my entry today.

I have always been fascinated by maps. I can sit and browse through map books and atlases for hours without getting bored.

I think my fascination with maps started when my father brought home a copy of the world map to help me with my homework when I was in grade school. It was with great pleasure that I thumbed through every country, fascinated by names of places which were new to me at that time. It also helped that we had encyclopedia books at home. The encyclopedias not only fed my mind with fascinating information about the countries, the people and their unique cultures, but also fueled my desire to travel and see the world. So from then on, maps have always been a part of my life and eventually spawned my postcard collecting and pen-pal writing hobbies.

Imagine my surprise when I opened J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Lord of the Rings years ago - it contained fictional maps and geographical descriptions where the story occurred!! How cool is that!!

So I was glad that Gerda allowed me to choose from her private swap collection, and, of course, I had to get this one:



Mapcard - Belgium

My first map card and also the first ever coming from Belgium. Thanks very much, Gerda.

The Postcard Friendship Friday meme is held every Friday of the week and hosted by the gracious Marie of Vintage Postcards.

11 comments:

  1. Lay Hoon is going to go crazy for this post! She collects map cards:) I'm going to go send her the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that right? Hahaha, better tell her to go the soonest. I am not sure if Gerda still has one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so nice to see you posted my card on "Postcard Friendship Friday" :):)Thanks!!
    I also have a big world map card hanging in my study and I still discover new places...
    (P.S.Have a few Belgian map cards left for trade)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that's missing from this card is the roads -- otherwise you could almost use it to navigate to these sights and sites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to collect map postcards, vintage or new. I'm like you I like to look at old maps.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading old maps! Beautiful card for PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and..... my love for geography came from hanging a map up in the living room so that I could teach my sons about it:) Now I have hope that they'll appreciate it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh !!!I'm Map Postcard fans too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome, Gerda! You see that, Lay Hoon? There are more map-cards from Gerda!

    Thank you all, guys, for leaving comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love maps too. It's kind of sad that GPS seem to be making them extinct. :/

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik