Friday 27 February 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday 004:Igorot People, Cordillera Region



I recently received the following postcard from blogger-friend Ging Maganda:



Baguio City, Philippines

The postcard shows the Igorots in their traditional costume. The Igorot people live in the Cordillera region of Northern Philippines where their ancestors (the Igorot people are known to be very adept at rice-terrace farming) built the Banaue Rice Terraces, a UNESCO Heritage Site, and they have a diverse heritage and rich culture.

This is my choice for this week's Postcard Friendship Friday hosted by Marie of Vintage Postcards. Why? Because, you see, Ging and I, and four others, are part of the Miss Igorota Sisterhood (Postcards from Miss Igorota). Most of us, by the way, are fan of snail-mails and are also Postcrossing members. We are all proud to be one in promoting the advancement of the Igorot people and doll domination. Oh, and world peace, of course! *lol*

To learn the concept behind it all, this is Miss Igorota's story.

Did you notice the stamps -- Pieta and Gagambino. They're awesome! These are great pieces to add to my Filipiniana stamp collection. These are but two of the newly-issued stamps of the popular Filipino comics superheroes created by none other than the Philippine King of Comics, Carlo J. Caparas. When the comics industry in the Philippines suffered, he spearheaded a revival campaign by touring and holding exhibits with his Komiks Caravan to spread awareness about comics all over the country. It would have been total happiness had there been female comics superheroes issued by the Philpost. Wouldn't you agree?

10 comments:

  1. Igorot people and doll domination! Lol! You are doing a great job.. before I met you I honestly had very sketchy knowledgeof the Philipines and it's rich culture. I find myself googling away to learn more! Thank you for being such a wonderful teacher! Happy PFF - Puny Frogs Flying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good at playing with words, Marie!
    I think one of the best things about blogging, and not to mention networking, is that we are learning so much! As mentioned in one of my posts here, I try to learn as much as I can about the postcard's country of origin. Thanks to Google, we do not have to go to libraries and pore over tomes of books *lol* Happy PFF to you too -- Pretty Friends Fretting! Oh ok, that's a lousy attempt *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely card! Like you, I try to learn something from every card, and it really is amazing just how much you can learn. I'm not a stamp collector, but I do appreciate "pretty" stamps and always try to send something special on cards.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, wow! happy to stumble upon this other blog of yours! hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting post! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have this postcard from ging too! love the pinoy comic stamps.

    and thanks for plugging miss iggy's wonderful blog! hey, you're one of the reasons it's thriving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, hey, hey! Look who's here?

    Ging, salamat talaga sa stamps at postcards!

    FF, anything I can do to promote our cause, kahit di masyado akong nagpo=post duon *lol*

    Thanks, Muse Swings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SheilaStamps weren't my thing in the beginning but my sister's. But as time went on and having seen amazing stamps on the postcards, I decided to join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ZJ, you're as much a miss iggy sister as everyone else in our group! no pressure on how often you post there, you know that. :P

    you may have forgotten about that draft you did about a certain plant? it's still there...haha. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik