Friday 13 March 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday 006: The Delphi, Greece



The Delphi, Greece
The Delphi
Sent in an envelope, postmarked Komothni
Dated 03 March 09

I couldn't contain my excitement and giddiness when I opened the brown envelope. It contained two postcards, including the one above. I can't help but admire this special 3D hologram postcard (awesome!) depicting the Tholos ruins (one of the many great ruins) at the Delphi archeological site. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the ancient Greeks believed that Delphi was the navel of the earth, the centre of the ancient world. The Delphi is best known to be the site of the Oracle. You know, like the Oracle in The Matrix movie. The Oracle at Delphi was consulted by the rich and mighty and common people alike. Delphi was, the ancient Greeks believed, a spiritual place where the gods were able to speak to mortals through a medium, such as a priest/priestess.

Tilting the postcard, you see the Tholos (a reconstruction) in its old glory - a circular platform supported by 20 Doric columns. The interior is also circular in shape, with 10 Corinthian columns supporting the walls. The Tholos was built in the 4th century BC by the architect Theodoros of Samos and it is made from marble from Penteli and black porous stone. The three pillars that you see above were restored making it a popular spot for tourists to take pictures.

I can only imagine the amazing structures built and the ancient people who have once lived there, and the ravages of time and nature had brought to this place. French archeologists discovered this site in 1892 and it was said that a whole village had to be removed, err, moved, before excavations could start. And because of that labor, we are now able to see this world wonder.

Thank you very much Nopi for this awesome postcard. I forgot to mention that the stamps featuring Greece's produce are equally awesome too!



Greek produce FDC

Don't you agree?
Can you guess what are these popular Greek traditional products? Answers I will post later :)

9 comments:

  1. What a shame the hologram doesn't show up on screen! A fantastic card, and the stamps are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree whole heartedly! I can imagine the the hologram dancing before my eyes! What an effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A postcard "heavy" in History. I'd like to play the game of Hologram standing by myself in this place for true. Maybe, one day .... Waiting for, I'm happy to look at it in your postcard, Sreisaat.

    Since you asked me, baby girls are born in Roses in France ! And all over the world, I believe...
    What were you expecting ?
    Wonderful belief, no?
    Have a great week-end, Sreisaat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I especially love the produce postcard. The produce includes feta, olive oil, almonds, honey and ouzo. I'm missing one - I'll check back later for the answers. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, widescreen HD postcards. What'll they think up next?

    Is that an ouzo stamp (bottom row, middle)? That is excellent. I am trying to picture a US stamp with a bottle of Jack Daniel's on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great postcards. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy PFF! I lurve the Greek one and those stamps are sooo pretty! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for going to my blog.
    I hopes you will come often. has soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still remember the first hologram I ever saw in everyday use. It was on the cover of a National Geographic from the mid 1980s. Hard to imagine that now they can be done cheaply enough to use on a postcard!
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik